Sunday

Curried Chicken and Lemony Rice with Carrots & Peas

In England, I think they call this a Curry Take-Away and it usually comes with rice AND french fries (chips).  The Brits still manage to keep in top form, somehow, despite adding "chips" to every meal. AND drinking a dozen pints of beer at the pub every night.  I think it's the numerous cups of tea which acts as a mysterious diet pill.  I love England and I miss the Cadbury's vending machines in the train stations, and other good things that no American has ever heard of - like milk with the cream on top. What food do we get in New York that's interesting - bagels?  Of course, a good fresh bagel IS very satisfying and you can get an excellent bagel, cream cheese and  a heaping of lox (a slice of tomato is nice but it makes it problematic for eating as it causes the whole thing to slide around - totally worth it, however) at Murray's Bagels on 8th and 21st.

This is a recipe is great with chicken thighs and legs and what I do is pull the skin off the chicken (unless I'm roasting it, in which case it's going to get really nice and crispy). First I sliced and sauteed a yellow onion in olive oil.  Then I added the chicken and browned it on both sides - don't have the heat up too high or the meat will stick to the pan and tear.  Meanwhile,  I diced up a carrot for the rice - I always use organic carrots because then you don't have to peel them and you get all the vitamins! 



 

After the chicken browned, I added:

2 cloves minced garllic
1 and 1/2 tsp curry powder (more if you like it very hot)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp fresh grated ginger

 5 chopped canned tomatoes
1 cup tomato juice from can

Let the chicken simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, turning occasionally to let both sides absorb the flavor.
Meanwhile, cook the rice;
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube,
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 cup green peas
1/2 cup diced carrots
juice of 1/2 a lemon

 
Simmering and smelling delicious!



5 minutes before it was ready to serve,  I added a cup of fresh broccoli florets to steam with the chicken (just to save using another pot!)

 


 

Don't forget to serve with Major Gray's Mango Chutney....and a dollop of plain yogurt, that would be nice especially if you have made it very spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment