Wednesday

Grilled Pork Chops with corn salsa, Guacamole,

I had to go back down to the courthouse today to file a few things for my case (getting to be something of an old hand - and the court employees are extremely nice and helpful which is something you wouldn't expect). There was an Asian man in small claims office with the craziest eyebrows I have ever seen.  He wasn't really that old and had a full head of black hair - but his eyebrows stuck out like black paint brushes.  At first I thought a lock of his bangs had just swished over to the side of his face.  Then I looked more closely and with more and more amazement until I was staring with my mouth open like a carp.  Well, not really, but it was a distraction as I waited in line.  I have a bit of an eyebrow obsession myself and he clearly had spent a long time cultivating his - and twirling them.  Long facial hair is supposed be good luck in the Chinese tradition, I think?

Since I've been trapped inside at work so much lately, I walked back home.  Actually, first I stopped for a bite to eat in Chinatown and it is quite doable on a weekday although total mayhem on the weekends.  I had a good Cantonese lunch that reminded me of the Chinese food we get in Vancouver.  Afterward I bought a pound of big tiger shrimp for $6 at a fish market- and had to stop in a Chinese bakery for an almond cookie which is a tradition.  Then I walked all up though Little Italy, Noho, and up Park Avenue South, looking at all the restaurants.  There were a lot of Happy Hour offerings and I was somewhat tempted by the sake bar which offered Haru cocktails for $5....I have no idea what that is but it sounds quite good!  But probably the kind of thing that gives you a headache by 8 pm and then you're flat on your back snoring on the sofa by 10.....and of course wide awake at 4 am.  I didn't stop.  There were a few restaurants on the way home that caught my eye - on Lafayette Street, "Mexican Radio" looked fun and also "Acme" which offers southern and Cajun food.  I must remember to go back there.

Here's a nice little dinner you can throw together quickly.... and pan fried potatoes are always a favorite.
Pork Chops with Spicy Corn Salsa & Guacamole

Dice 1/2 of a sweet onion
Saute 1 sliced garlic clove
add 1/8 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup black beans
1 chopped fresh tomato
Season with salt & pepper



3 - 4 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into small pieces
Pre-cook either in the microwave or boil in water until almost tender
Saute in olive oil & turn frequently until browned and crispy
Season with salt, pepper, and Smoked Spanish paprika
Serve with a little chopped Cilantro 

 

Season bone-in pork chops with Paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin
Grill for about 10 - 15 minutes until cooked through (but not over-cooked!)


Meanwhile, prepare the Guacamole:
Roughly mash 3 ripe (but not mushy) avocados
Add the juice of 1 lime
1/4 finely chopped onion
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tblsp finely chopped cilantro
salt & pepper to taste (not too much salt)
White corn chips

 

Top the pork chops with the corn salsa and serve!

 

"There are three kinds of people; those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those who don't know what's happening."

No comments:

Post a Comment