Tuesday

Extra Chocolatey Marshmallow & Sea Salt Brownies

Are you seated? No longer am I "strictly stove top"! Yes, it's true - I have a new oven. Santa brought it! There is always a sense of relief and accomplishment after you make it through the holidays and I am considering this one a big success, even though my daughter announced several times that next year she will be in Aruba, to which I say - it isn't Christmas until somebody cries...and you'll still have to give me my present next year, even it you go away!

So, anyway, the oven opens up a world of cooking possibilities and I was toying with the idea of roasting a post holiday turkey, which I haven't done in at least 7 years (post or pre holiday) - however, no one really likes turkey in my house...and then there is the problem of the price of turkeys, which surged drastically this year due to bird flu. Who knew that the birds get it, too?  So forget the $90 gobbler, bring on the $2.99 brownies! 

I freely admit that I can't really even call this a recipe, since I cheated and used a box mix for the base, the excuse being that I whipped it up while I was making a cup of tea, just because my new oven was calling to me - but I also had to get back to work!  I know, I don't really like mixes for cakes, cookies, or brownies, either - they are over sweet and a bit tasteless. But I doctored up a Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie mix and the result was surprisingly good.  This is what I added:

1 slosh coffee liqueur
1 small dark chocolate bar, broken into bits
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon sea salt


 You can add whatever you have in your pantry but I think that the addition of the sea salt is a huge improvement to the taste and takes it out of the bland box mix and into the world of something yummy and home-made.  Salty sweets are all the rage right now, and with good reason. Shake a little powdered sugar over the top for a little extra effect!



I owe it all to little chocolate donuts.
John Belushi

No comments:

Post a Comment