Saturday

Hangover Cure Korean Style Soup "Buddae-jjigae"

They do say that buddae-jjigae is a legendary cure for a hangover and, although I eat some form of this for lunch nearly every day, that is not to be taken as an admission that I have a hangover every day! However, on that topic of hangover cures, I think the theory is that anything spicy is a cure for overindulging because it's a kick-starter to your system - and also an egg, if you go by Jeeves' authority.  I will say that it's also good if you're dieting because, if you add an egg to this soup, you can skip breakfast, which is not only economical calorie-wise, it also goes along with the overall premise of Buddae-jjigae which is said to date back to the days of the Korean war when rations were scarce. Honestly, I scoff at that particular theory because, as every cook around the world has known since the dawn of time, soup is an essential menu item when you have to stretch the pantry ingredients - or simply want to use up leftovers.

There are nice things to add to soups, and it's a great way to use up the ends of packages of pasta that are too small in quantity to use for dinner...but if you keep on hand your favorite noodles on hand such as ramen - packs of soft rice noodles are amazing - you can give yourself a midday treat.  Also great to add are the ends of jars of interesting spices, such as curries, chili paste, and jars of black bean paste, hoisin, kimchi, for example. And you need some broth paste or cubes, preferably without monosodium glutamate - good advice which I rarely follow personally.

This particular buddae-jjigae I concocted from a leftover pasta dish with kale & spicy pork sausage I served the night before, to which I added 2 cups chicken broth, a teaspoon korean chili paste, and an egg. 


I let it simmer for half an hour or so while I conducted the morning's business before I added the egg which poached nicely in the broth - and I left the yolk a bit runny. I always like to eat soup with chopsticks and a spoon which adds to the novelty and makes it seems like you are eating something really interesting which, in this case, I was!


Once again, not exactly a recipe...but you can use your own taste buds to adjust the seasoning to your liking, I believe.

When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste. ~Laiko Bahrs

No comments:

Post a Comment